Tag Archives: script

Command line and strings

I’ve blogged about this some time ago under another topic (Creating-daily-log-files) but I find myself regularly searching for it again when I have to create a new batch file for something plus have to output some uniquely named log file.


You have some script/batch file that does some stuff/maintenance/imports whatever. It runs from some kind of scheduler unattended so you need to have it generate a log file in case there were errors/issues. Creating an output log file is fairly easy but having it create a new name each day/time is a bit more tricky.

Possible solution:

This script assumes a date time format of yyyy/mm/dd

SET UNIQUESTR=%date:~0,4%%date:~5,2%%date:~8,2%%time:~0,2%%time:~3,2%
MyTool.exe > MyTool%UNIQUESTR%.log

This will create a log file with a date and time stamp each time it is run (assuming you don’t run it twice in the same second)

Have fun kids!

Update: a nice site with some helpful info -> http://www.dostips.com/DosCommandIndex.php

List all servers where I have an RDP session on (even ones where I’m disconnected)

This is something more than just one administrator has had trouble with. How do you find out what servers/machines you have worked on at some point and happened to simply use the ‘disconnect’ feature because you still had windows open? So far I have not found a simple way to do this – however I have created a script that helps with this. Unfortunately it still requires you to specify a list (input text file) of possible servers than needs to be checked. I would have liked if it was possible to have it automatically discover all machines with RDP sessions that use my logon…

The solution I created is simply a powershell script that takes an input text file with the list of machines you want to test connections with. This list would probably contain the usual machines you connect to. The other bit of the ‘solution’ is calling the ‘qwinsta’ utility that queries a specified machine and returns some details about RDP connections active on that machine. The script must then parse the output to figure out if your username is one of them…

param (
    $myAccount #(Read-Host -Prompt "Enter a user name")
    ,$serverListFile #(Read-Host -Prompt "File with list of servers")
if ($myAccount -eq $null){
    $myAccount = $env:username
if ($serverListFile -eq $null){
    $scriptpath = $MyInvocation.MyCommand.Path
    $dir = Split-Path $scriptpath
    $serverListFile = $dir + "\myservers.txt"

$showDebugInfo = $false
$reader = [System.IO.File]::OpenText($serverListFile)
"Listing RDP sessions for " + $myAccount
try {
    for(;;) {
        $server = $reader.ReadLine()
        if ($server -eq $null) { break }
        # process the line
        if(!(Test-Connection -Cn $server -BufferSize 16 -Count 1 -ea 0 -quiet))
            " Error accessing " + $server
                if ($showDebugInfo){
                    "Checking " + $server + "..."
                $qwinstaResults = (qwinsta /server:$server | foreach { (($_.trim() -replace “\s+”,”,”))} | ConvertFrom-Csv)
                ForEach ($queryResult in $qwinstaResults)
                    if ($queryResult -CMatch $myAccount)
                        "Logged on to " + $server
                " Error processing " + $server
finally {

Then using this script is as easy as calling it from (say) a batch file like this:

powershell.exe .\MyRDPConnections.ps1 myusername myservers.txt

Not perfect but at least it helps.


I’ve been wanting to creating something like this for myself for a while. A simple tool to quickly create a backup copy of a SQL Server database ‘structure’ (or schema if you will). It is really a simple command line tool that simply takes a few parameters like server\instance name, database, output directory and a prefix name for the output files.

It creates separate files for Tables, Views and Stored procedures (which includes UDFs)

Example usage:

SQLScripter.exe <-s:server> <-d:database> [-od:outputDirectory] [-p:prefixFileName]

Grab it here (plain exe in a zip file). It make use of the .Net 4.0 client framework.

Getting list of disabled users in AD

Having to quickly help some colleagues find a list of all the currently disabled users on a domain I created a quick Powershell script (with some help from Google of course).

I suspect other people might also like to know how to do it so here is a copy of the script.

This script is easily modifiable to search for all kind of other ‘stuff’ in AD as well.

Java pie

A useful JavaScript library I came across recently is the one created by Balamurugan that is based on the wz_jsgraphics library from walterzorn.

I made some modifications to the Pie library so more ‘properties’ can be specified by the calling script/code which makes it easier to use.

An example:

JavaScript Pie graph

<script type="text/javascript" src="wz_jsgraphics.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="pie.js"></script>
<div id="pieCanvas" style="overflow: auto; position:relative;height:300px;width:400px;"></div>
<script type="text/javascript">


var p = new pie();
p.radius = 100;
p.labelDistance = 120;
p.xCenter = 200;
p.yCenter = 150;
p.add("Mar", 87);
p.fontName = "Tahoma";
p.labelFontSize = 14;
p.render("pieCanvas", "This is a test");

With this you will get a plain (but nice) pie graph that can use customize a bit if you like.

Here is a link to my modified version: JavaScriptPie